Sunday, 28 July 2013 18:27
GreenStar Co-op: Application/Nomination for At-Large Committee Seat
GreenStar's Council (board of directors) seeks applications from Co-op members in good standing interested in serving on any of our various committees. You may nominate yourself or another member.
Committees play a crucial role in providing research, preparation and recommendations for proposals and issues to be voted on by Council. Committees have seats for Council members, staff and other ("at-large") GreenStar members. Committee members earn a 10% discount on purchases for their work.
Brief Committee descriptions and responsibilities appear on the next pages of this form.
Council makes at-large appointments annually, in July, for one-year terms. (There are no term limits.)
Often there are vacant seats during the year that can also be filled by Council, if there are applicants.
Paper application/nomination forms may be submitted to the Customer Service desk at the West End store, submitted electronically below or call Dan Hoffman (273-1323).
Please indicate your preferences for a committee, and provide a Statement of Interest below indicating why you would like to serve and what experience or skills you would bring to the role.
If you have any questions about any of the committees, or about this application, please contact Governance Committee Chair, or call Dan Hoffman (273-1323).
GreenStar Council's Committees – Composition & Responsibilities
Composition: at least 3 Council members (Treasurer is chair), 1 staff member, 3 at-large members (including at least 1 who is an accountant)
- Overseeing the annual budgeting process,
- Overseeing regular financial audits of the Co-op,
- Overseeing annual review of Co-op's insurance coverage and other asset protections,
- Recommending annual financial objectives, and
- Reviewing and recommending changes to the Co-op's financial policies.
Composition: at least 3 Council members; 1 staff member; 3 at-large members
- Overseeing annual Council elections,
- Recruiting candidates for Council and committee positions,
- Identifying possible training opportunities for Council members,
- Overseeing Council's Policy Book, and
- Developing proposed policies & procedures (when requested to do so by Council).
Composition: at least 3 Council members; 2 staff members; 4 at-large members
- Promoting member participation in the Co-op,
- Planning Membership meetings and mailings,
- Facilitating interaction between Council and members,
- Overseeing regular member surveys,Overseeing member referenda, and
- - Maintaining contact with other co-ops.
Composition: at least 3 Council members; 1 Staff Advisory Board member; 2 at-large members (Human Resources Manager is ex officio member)
- When needed, recruiting & screening candidates for General Manager,
- Assisting Council with the annual performance evaluation of the GM,
- Organizing regular staff/Council "retreats,"
- Reviewing and recommending amendments to the Co-op's Personnel Policy,
- Interpreting the Personnel Policy, when requested, and
- Handling employee grievances.
Ad Hoc Committees:
Composition: 4 Council members; 3 staff members; up to 3 at-large members
- Assisting Council in planning and preparing for the expansion of the Co-op
- (additional satellite stores, larger main store, etc),
- Providing feedback and support to General Manager on steps to implement expansion goals,
- Creating a timetable for moving forward with timely decision-making.
Composition: 3 Council members, 2 staff members, 3 at-large members
- Reviewing GreenStar's current bylaws and making recommendations (to Council) for revision,
- Involving the Membership in the bylaws review process.
OMBUDS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
[GreenStar's first Ombuds Program began operating in early 2012.]
Composition: 2 Council members; 2 staff members (1 = management, 1 = non-management); at least 2 at-large members
- Make recommendations to Council on Ombudsperson job description and contract, and other Program details;
- Recruit candidates for Ombudsperson positions, review and evaluate applications, make recommendation on selection to Council
- Provide oversight and assistance to Ombudspersons
GREENSTAR COMMUNITY PROJECTS, INC.
This is a tax-exempt affiliate of GreenStar Co-op, with its own Board of Directors. Composition of Board: 1 member named by Co-op's Council; 1 member named by Co-op's General Manager; up to 7 at-large members (named by the affiliate's Board).
Purposes of Affiliate:
- Provide information to public on cooperatives, healthful living, local self-reliance, self-sufficiency and community, ecological sustainability and/or social justice;
- Initiate and/or support community projects that promote cooperatives, local self-reliance, self-sufficiency and community, ecological sustainability and/or social justice in ways that honor and enhance the socio-economic diversity of the projects and those intended to benefit from them.
- GSCP sponsors the annual Food Justice Summit, and more frequent gathering for a Network of groups, businesses and individuals in Tompkins County working to strengthen the local food system.
Options for involvement:
- Serve on the Board of Directors.
- Serve on a committee (e.g., fundraising, networking) or help with a specific project or event.
- GreenStar work credit is possible for any level of committed service.
Thanks for your interest in serving on GreenStar's Council (board of directors). We look forward to hearing your voice, benefiting from your ideas, and working with you to make the Co-op an even better place.
Annual Elections (in April); Appointments to Fill Vacancies Between Elections
In the annual Council election, conducted throughout April, at least five of the seats on Council are filled (for 3-year terms). If vacancies have occurred since the previous election, those may be filled for the balance of those terms (e.g., for 1 or 2 years). To be elected, a candidate must receive at least 50 valid votes, and at least 200 members must participate in the voting). Vacancies that occur during t...
Upcoming Council Events
Executive Planning Committee Meeting
Tuesday September 23, 05:30 PM
Finance Committee Meeting
Thursday September 25, 05:30 PM
Governance Committee Meeting
Monday October 06, 06:00 PM
Membership Committee Meeting
Thursday October 09, 05:00 PM
Regular Council Meeting
Tuesday October 14, 06:30 PM