Sunday, 03 June 2012 00:27
By Brandon Kane,
On March 29, GreenStar's Membership Manager, Alexis Alexander, and I enjoyed dining with nine members of the Co-op. These member-owners were randomly invited to engage in an open-ended conversation with us regarding all things GreenStar, while enjoying a delicious dinner prepared by our Deli. I found this interaction tremendously valuable and plan on holding more of these "Dinners with the GM" on a regular basis. Not only was it an opportunity for members to give direct feedback on the Co-op from their particular perspectives, but it was a chance to really engage members of the community on a level that our schedules do not often allow.
Below is a list of the topics explored that evening — some are big, some small, but all provided valuable input on how GreenStar can best meet the needs of its member-owners:
- There is a pressing need for an additional customer bathroom at the West-End store.
- Perhaps there can be a small baby changing room as well.
- It was recognized that the West-End is very busy and there is little space to meet the demand of its customers.
- Weight scales in the West-End bulk section are difficult to deal with because of the compressed retail space.
- There was positive feedback regarding our bulk selection, particularly of our bulk spices.
- It would be nice to have scoops in our bulk spice section that could fit into a home spice jar.
- It would be great to sell more glass storage jars in our Bulk Department.
- A member would love to see the GreenStar bakery produce its own sprouted bread.
- Membership would benefit from classes offered by GreenStar regarding our own co-op's history and the history of co-ops in general. It would be also great to discuss the benefits of being a member-owner of the cooperative.
- A member expressed the desire that we hold more events for children, including cooking classes.
- A member stated that they will not vote on Council candidates or referendums/bylaws if they do not feel fully informed.
- We discussed the concept of a yearly patronage dividend given to our members (as opposed to the 2% discount at the register) as a way for members to contribute to and invest in GreenStar's future development.
Whether vegan or omnivore, you'll find everything you need for a terrific Thanksgiving feast right here at GreenStar.
Thanksgiving time has rolled around again, and we've got you covered again with all the good products you've come to know and love for your holiday feasting. For meat eaters, we offer organic, natural, local, frozen, and fresh turkeys. For vegans, options ab...